Preface | Quick Quide | Northwold Enters Written History | The Ely Connection | Northwold in Domesday
Northwold’s Greatest Son – A Benedictine Monk | Bishop Hugh’s Early English Church | From Early English to Decorated
Early Rectors, the Black Death & a Wall Painting | The Easter Sepulchre | Who Was John Sterlynge (or Starling or Stalyng)?
How St. Andrew’s Acquired Its Tower | The Tudor Period | Northwold Under The Stuarts and Cromwell
Georgian St. Andrew’s | Modern Times – From Charles Norman Onwards | A Brief Note on Sources
THE TUDOR PERIOD

Henry VII
enry VII established his Tudor dynasty in 1485, after defeating
Richard III at Bosworth. At Northwold Richard Hooke succeeded
John Downham as Rector in 1494. Other Rectors of the Tudor period were Miles Ragon (1519), Robert Cliff (1526), John Clark (1538), Thomas Barnard (1554), Henry Thorneton (1556), Thomas Scott senior (1563) and Thomas Scott junior (1576). One of many tombstones in the floor of the church is that of Thomas Scott junior. He was an almost exact contemporary of William Shakespeare.

Two 16th century benefactors whose names are recorded in the tower were John Peyrs, Rector of Oxborough, and Edmund Attmeare (sic) who left property to pay for clothing for the poor. The Atmere Trust, with objects appropriate to modern circumstances, is still in operation as one of the village charities 500 years later. It exists to relieve people who are in need, hardship or distress. Other village charities of today stem from the gifts of John Peyrs and Richard Powle.