Preface | Quick Quide | Northwold Enters Written History | The Ely Connection | Northwold in Domesday
Northwold’s Greatest Son – A Benedictine Monk | Bishop Hugh’s Early English Church | From Early English to Decorated
Early Rectors, the Black Death & a Wall Painting | The Easter Sepulchre | Who Was John Sterlynge (or Starling or Stalyng)?
How St. Andrew’s Acquired Its Tower | The Tudor Period | Northwold Under The Stuarts and Cromwell
Georgian St. Andrew’s | Modern Times – From Charles Norman Onwards | A Brief Note on Sources
THE EASTER SEPULCHRE
ne of the three Rectors starting with de Sautre was
probably responsible for the installation of the
Easter Sepulchre in the north east corner of the chancel, since the soldiers depicted on it wear the uniform of the army in the reign of Richard II (1367-99). Cautley, taking a similar view, suggests that this Sepulchre is probably of the 14th century. Pevsner, however, calls it a very lavish composition of the late 15th century. Thus may great experts differ.
As you enter the church, turn left and see the banner by Mrs. Eyles of Hall Farm, illustrating and explaining the Easter Sepulchre, which is one of very few surviving examples in England, with sad vestiges of its original beauty. The Sepulchre is in poor condition, partly because it is made of one of the least durable of local building materials - chalk - and partly, perhaps, because zealots deliberately defaced it during the Reformation (or the Civil War a century later). Even so a comparison of the Sepulchre today with the 1853 engraving reproduced in this guide shows that the decay is very gradual, mainly affecting the fine detail of the Gothic tracery. Behind the Sepulchre, revealed by the removal of some plaster from the vestry wall, is a blocked up doorway last used, presumably, in the 14th century.