Preface | Quick Quide | Northwold Enters Written History | The Ely Connection | Northwold in Domesday
Northwold’s Greatest Son – A Benedictine Monk | Bishop Hugh’s Early English Church | From Early English to Decorated
Early Rectors, the Black Death & a Wall Painting | The Easter Sepulchre | Who Was John Sterlynge (or Starling or Stalyng)?
How St. Andrew’s Acquired Its Tower | The Tudor Period | Northwold Under The Stuarts and Cromwell
Georgian St. Andrew’s | Modern Times – From Charles Norman Onwards | A Brief Note on Sources
PREFACE TO THE WEB EDITION
It is a great pleasure for us all at St. Andrew's to be able to spread our wings on the internet and reach a much much wider audience in this way. We hope that this site will receive many hits as it becomes better known. Across the centuries it makes it possible for Northwold men and women, including Hugh of Northwold himself, to communicate with new readers. Finally, we wish to thank Jane de Silva of Indigo Graphics for designing this website with the same skill and artistry that she brought to the published second edition available here.
J.A. Norris June 2006
PREFACE TO THE SECOND EDITION
The first edition of this history and guide has long since sold out, and from time to time the author has contemplated producing a second. The first was produced at speed in the summer of 1988, when his research was in some respects incomplete. There is more to tell now (and a correction or two to make), and it is possible to reproduce not only the Ladbrooke engraving of the church as it was in 1821 but also an 1858 engraving of the Easter Sepulchre, together with photographs of the Sepulchre today and of other church memorials. The publication of this edition in its new form has been made possible by a generous legacy from a former resident of the village, the late Mrs. Brenda Elliott.
J.A. Norris June 2003
PREFACE TO THE FIRST EDITION

The author gratefully acknowledges the initiative of the organisers of the 1988 Craft and Flower Festival at St. Andrew’s, who pressed the long-debated case for a new guide, and the unhesitating encouragement given by the Rector, Churchwardens and Parochial Church Council. Mrs. Mary Armstrong lent a rare copy of a previous guide by Mr. Simon Cotton and Mr. Roy Tricker from her own collection. The cover picture is the work of a former resident of Northwold, Mrs. Diana Cowell.
J.A. Norris July 1988
St. Paul - detail from the 19th century stained glass in the east window; attributed to Messrs. Heaton, Butler and Bayne, c. 1873.
Second edition | © J A Norris 2003 | Photography © Jane de Silva 2003 | Design by Indigo Graphics www.indigographics.co.uk