Church funds paid for the organ, which was erected in 1868.
Mr & Mrs Julius Angerstein by Sir Thomas Lawrence.
The National Gallery when at the home of Mr J J Angerstein.
The Rev. Charles Manners Richard Norman (1799-1873).
Charles Norman was a bachelor for the first eight years of his time in Northwold. Then he met and at the age of 41 married a spinster of 38 called Caroline Amelia Angerstein, whose father John was the owner of a huge estate round Weeting Hall. If Charles brought aristocratic connections, what did Caroline bring to the marriage? She was a grand- daughter of John Julius Angerstein (1735-1823), who came to England in 1750 from St. Petersburg, where his German family had been settled. He was a Lloyds under-writer by the time he was 21 and went on to
Charles Norman was Rector for 40 years. Charles and Caroline Norman have their tomb just inside the south entrance of the churchyard, near the lych gate.
During Charles Norman’s time – in 1852 – the church was re-seated, a fact recorded in an inscription on the wall inside the tower. When St. Andrew’s underwent other restoration work, in the eighteen fifties and sixties, the restorers appears to have shown more respect for the character of this ancient church than many of their contemporaries showed to churches elsewhere in England. A drainpipe to the west of the porch bears the date 1857. Inside the church another sign of those times is the organ erected in 1868, out of funds “from the Church Estate.” This organ bears a modern plaque recording the fact that for 42 years of the 20th century Arthur Barber, a local farmer, was voluntary organist. The font in front of the tower dates from 1882. Its elaborately carved cover, suspended from the Modern Times – From Charles Norman Onwards roof by a chain and capable of being raised and lowered, was added in 1887.
Victorian Rectors after Charles Norman were Richard Snowdon Smith (1873), William Cowper Johnson (1889) and Claud Cecil Thornton (1892), who is commemorated in the fine and sturdy lych gate.
Since Thornton there have been nine Rectors: Nicholas Gepp (1911), whose eldest son’s death at Gallipoli in 1915 is commemorated in a tablet in the chancel; Alan Chaplin (1919); Arnold Wells (1924); Frederick Lacy (1935); James Thompson (1943 to 1955, when the benefice was suspended); David Savage (1958); Kenneth Taylor (1971); Canon John Rowsell (1981 to 1995); and
Until the nineteen fifties the church had no electricity supply, and there are villagers who still remember the oil lamps lit on winter evenings and the coke-fired boiler stoked by a churchwarden to keep the church as warm as it could ever be. The imposing structure seen from the road has always concealed a vast space impossible to heat to everyone’s satisfaction. In the last half century the church has not escaped the effects of change in the social fabric of Norfolk villages, especially those which stem from the revolution in agricultural practice, the coming of television, the electrification of such railway lines as have survived the ruthless closures introduced by Lord Beeching, road improvements and ever wider car ownership. Kenneth Taylor was the last Rector to be responsible for St. Andrew’s alone. Canon Rowsell was simultaneously Rector of Northwold and Vicar of Methwold. Nigel Tuffnell became the first incumbent of a new benefice stretching from Wretton through Stoke Ferry and Whittington to Northwold. In spite of all these changes there is no mistaking the fact that the village loves and is proud of its church and prepared to fill it on solemn occasions and joyful festivals.