Preface | Quick Quide | Northwold Enters Written History | The Ely Connection | Northwold in Domesday
Northwold’s Greatest Son – A Benedictine Monk | Bishop Hugh’s Early English Church | From Early English to Decorated
Early Rectors, the Black Death & a Wall Painting | The Easter Sepulchre | Who Was John Sterlynge (or Starling or Stalyng)?
How St. Andrew’s Acquired Its Tower | The Tudor Period | Northwold Under The Stuarts and Cromwell
Georgian St. Andrew’s | Modern Times – From Charles Norman Onwards | A Brief Note on Sources
FROM EARLY ENGLISH TO DECORATED
ote that the arcade’s
westernmost bay, on each
side of the nave, was added later. According to Pevsner the newer bay is in the Decorated style of approximately 1290 to 1350; Cautley places it in the next century, and associates it with the building of the tower in the Perpendicular style. The
reticulated (net-like) tracery in the east window (whose stained glass is of the 19th century) belongs to the Decorated period, as do the aisle windows and porch, but Pevsner believes that the south door itself is of the same period as the arcade.
Early descriptions of the church say that above the entrance to the chancel in mediaeval times there was a rood-screen with wooden panels of painted saints, which was probably removed by Victorian restorers. The chancel was much restored in the middle of the 19th century. Ladbrooke’s drawing of the church in 1821 shows three windows divided by buttresses in the south wall of the chancel; now there are two.
Above: Reticulated tracery in the east window.

Above, right: Decorated aisle window.

Right: Ladbrooke's illustration of the church in 1821.